Course Description/Overview/Welcome Statement
This course will provide students with an understanding of basic financial concepts and skills that they can use to conduct their personal finances. This is a very important course where students will learn about different types and sources of income, career goals and planning, budgeting, spending and credit, insurance, saving and investing, consumer protection and retirement planning. This is a required course that is to be taken during students’ junior or senior year.
Student effort and participation during class time is very important to this class.
Attendance and participation are very important in this class and will affect students’ grades. Daily quizzes will make up 20% of the final grade. These cannot be made up with the exception of illness or school related absences. The remaining 80% of the grade will be given based on total points earned on assignments, projects, tests and policy points.
Class projects will be graded based on a rubric.
Other expectations and policies which students will be expected to follow will be discussed in class.
Assessment of Progress
Students will be expected to complete projects and assignments by the due date. Late work will be accepted for one week after the assignment is due for full credit. After one week has expired, assignments will only be worth partial credit. Concurrent Enrollment students will be required to turn in assignments on time
The curriculum for this class draws from the Take Charge Today program from the University of Arizona, Dave Ramsey’s teachings, MarketWatch.com, and a variety of other resources.
- Come to class on time and prepared each day. If you are tardy, you will not be allowed to take the quiz at the beginning of class.
- Respect others and their property including the teacher’s property.
- Absolutely no food or drink in the class. (Exception: you may bring bottle water to class. You may also chew gum if you don’t pop it or make other annoying noises with it.)
- Cell phones, ipods, ipads, and other electronic devices must be turned off and put away during class time.
- Hall pass can be used once during class without asking to go to the bathroom or get a drink. These uses are limited to five minutes. Any other use of the hall pass must be by permission of the teacher. Any improper use of the hall pass will result in losing hall pass privileges for the rest of the term.
- Please come to appropriately dressed and in accordance to school rules.
- We may also watch a few short movie clips in class from movies with G or PG ratings that support class instruction.
Calendar of Due Dates for Major Assignments
Progress Reports and Report Cards
Grades will be updated weekly on the PowerSchool. I try to keep those grades as up-to-date as possible. Please keep track of your (your student’s) grade in class and contact me if there are concerns.
Grading will be based upon the district’s grading guidelines.
Connecting Home to School
Parents are welcome to contact me with any concerns. I can best be reached via email at email@example.com. You can also call my school extension at 3328.
Also, I will reach out to parents when I feel that there is a need for me to ask you as a parent for help.