Employees of the Month – March 2018
James Rees : (Art Teacher)
James Rees grew up here in Provo, in the Edgemont area. He did his graduate work in Arizona, and while there, he had some experiences that drew him back to Provo. He interviewed at Provo High School and was marched right down to the newly appointed principal at the time, Patty Herrington. He was her first hire and has now been at PHS for 25 years! This has been the only high school he has ever worked at and he loves the diversity here. When James isn’t at work, he enjoys making art, cooking, riding, and racing mountain bikes.
Here are a few things colleagues had to say about James:
- Jamie is very proactive in promoting the work of his students. He is always looking for the next venue to showcase their works.
- Jamie provides students many real world and outside of the school opportunities to apply the things they learn in his class.
- He helps and supports so many students enter art shows and competitions to display their great work.
- Jamie goes above and beyond to get students excited and involved in art and culture.
Christie Nozawa : (Chemistry Teacher)
Christie grew up in Mesa, Arizona. She came to Provo to attend BYU. While there, she interviewed with Provo High School at a spring job fair and got the job. Her contract started a few days before she graduated from BYU. During her first summer as a teacher, she was a river guide in the Grand Canyon, which she says was incredible. Christie has been here at PHS for 30 years! Her entire career has been spent in the same school and even the same classroom (S – 1), and she has loved it! She loves the students here and feels that they are a joy to work with. Christie has also made life-long friends with many of the faculty and staff members that she has worked with over the years. When Christie isn’t at work, she enjoys traveling, hiking, biking, camping, boating, cooking, music, reading, and learning and experiencing new things.
Here are a few things colleagues had to say about Christie:
- Christie has always been welcoming and enjoyable to talk with.
- She has been so kind to me and made feel like an important member of the department and school. I have enjoyed her friendship.
- Christie so kind and caring. She provides a safe warm welcoming atmosphere for all students who enter her classroom.
- She genuinely cares about all her students and wants the best for them.
Thank you James and Christie for your contribution to PHS! We are lucky to have you here!!