Course Description/Overview/Welcome Statement
Credit Type: G, NCAA
Credit: .5 Social Studies
Geography is the study of physical and human characteristics of the Earth’s people, places, and environments. Students will develop geographic thinking skills by studying the “why of where” as they examine the interactions, interconnections, and implications of forces shaping our world today. They will apply geographic knowledge and geo-literacy skills to identify, locate, interpret, analyze, and evaluate geographic patterns and processes. These standards emphasize both human geography and physical geography, and students will explore the interconnections between the two.
Students will participate in activities including cooperative learning groups, individual projects, simulations, map activities, primary source activities, current events, textbook work, note taking, iPad lab use, and other strategies that will help in their success.
Assessment of Progress
Students will participate in daily formative assessments to check learning with summative assessments given at the end of each unit. Success criteria and learning targets will be posted on the board daily for students to see and implement.
Bell Ringer Sheet
- Students are responsible to ask for makeup work! It is the students job to get the missed work from me. All of the assignments will be posted on Canvas (at least most of them). Students need to have all work turned in for that unit by the Unit Test!
- Work assigned when the student is present is due on schedule. I work with all students with IEP’s and 504 plans that may need additional time to finish assignments. This information will be between me, the student, and parents.
- Students should check with me for work before an absence due to a school sponsored activity, or preplanned vacation.
- I expect that the students can act like adults, until they lose that privilege. I don’t mind if students use their cell phones if they have finished an assignment early, however, if it becomes a problem I will take their cell phones for the remainder of the class.
- Tardies: We will have an opening quiz/question/or word of the day everyday. If you are tardy you will not receive credit for these activities. You are allowed 3 tardies before missing these activities affect your grades. If you have an Excused Absence, the opening assignments will not hurt your grade. You MUST bring in a note that excuses you from class!
- All Provo High School rules will be enforced. Please refer to the student planner for procedures and policies regarding discipline.
- RESPECT for self, other students and teacher. In Thoughts, Words and Actions. This includes the school, classroom and property of others.
- Bullying and/or hazing will not be tolerated in my classroom and will be referred to the administration for discipline. If your student mentions anything about this topic to you, plea
- Students are expected to be prepared each day (binder, paper, pen/pencil, assigned work, etc.).
- Food, snacks and flavored beverages are allowed in class, however the student is responsible for any mess they make.
- Be on time to class! This means sitting quietly and being ready to work.
- Cell phones may be used from time to time in class for educational purposes. They may only be out and seen with permission from the teacher. Any use other than this may result in the cell phone being confiscated and taken to the office for pick-up later that day. (Refer to student planner for school policy concerning cell phone confiscation.)
- Responsibility, I expect you to be responsible for your success in my classroom. This means coming to class on time, turning in your assignments, etc. If you are absent, or know you are going to be you will need to let me know so that you can make up your missed work.
Students are expected to do their own work whether in class or at home. There will be no toleration for cheating. Students who copy, students who let others copy, and students who plagiarize are all considered to be cheating. No matter what the value of the work no credit will be given. The work will not be allowed to be made up.
Hall Pass Use:
Please do not interrupt class proceedings or teacher instruction to ask to use the hall pass. See if the Hall Pass is there and use the Hall Pass quietly. Please return the Hall Pass because all Hall Pass privileges may be lost if the Hall Pass is lost. Misusing the Hall Pass (abusing the times being used or being gone a lengthy time without sufficient reason) may also result in losing Hall Pass privileges. The administration has also asked teachers to limit Hall Pass usage in the first and last 20 minutes of class so the teacher may not allow Hall Pass usage during those time periods.
I plan on using a variety of video clips to illustrate the themes and principles we are talking about in class. These clips will mainly be taken from educational sources but occasionally I may show clips from various G, PG, or PG-13 movies. If you do not want your child to view these clips, please let me know.
Calendar of Due Dates for Major Assignments
Island Map Project: Student’s will create their own island and compare it to real country. This assignment will be worked and due the last few weeks of the semester. This will be the the largest assignment for the class.
Progress Reports and Report Cards
PowerSchool will be updated weekly. Please make sure that you are checking your students grades regularly. I will have students check their grades on a daily basis.
Grades will be determined with the following percentage scale:
A 94-100 A- 90-93 B+ 87-89 B 83-86
B- 80-82 C+ 77-70 C 73-76 C- 70-72
D 69-60 F 59 and below
Connecting Home to School
How to contact me:
Office Hours: I am available Tuesday-Thursday from 6:30-7:30 in the morning. I can meet during other times on a as needs basis. Please let me know what I can do to help! If you have questions and concerns I do return emails, so please let me know!
We have read the disclosure document for Mr. Marshall and understand it.
Student Signature ______________________________ Student Name Printed__________________________
Parent Signature _______________________________
Home Phone Number:
Work Phone Number:
e-mail address _______________________________
Please include an email address if you have not already provided one to the school.
How would you prefer to be contacted? Home Work Email
Is there anything you would like me to know about your student?
*Failure to return this form implies consent
Personal Statement and other items (optional)
The key to success in the class is to: come to class, come to class on time, and complete the work. I tell my students every year that if they can do these things, they will do great in the class! As a teacher I will do whatever I can to help your students, but I need your help! Please communicate any questions or concerns and I WILL get back to you! Thanks again for all you do!